Septic Tanks and Drain/Sewer Odors
For every 1,000 gallons of holding capacity
The best results are achieved when EM•1® Septic Treatment is applied immediately after septic tank has been pumped clean.
Portable Toilets (Porta Potties, RVs, Boats, etc)
To make an odor-free portable toilet and prevent mounding in the toilet use one of the following methods:
- 5-6 ounces of EM•1® Septic Treatment per toilet.
Restaurants (Septic Tanks and Grease Traps, each)
- Apply 1 gallon for every 1,000 gallons of holding capacity per week down any drain feeding to the trap.
- For bad grease trap problems, make first application directly in grease trap and inject daily into trap.
- When applying directly into leach field (via inspection port) or into the septic tank (via a toilet) mix the EM•1® Septic Treatment and/or Super "C" ceramics with warm water (98°F to 110°F) at 1:10 ratio.
Stuck drain or slow flowing drain
Pour 1/4 cup EM•1® Septic Treatment and 1/4 cup molasses into drain when you know the drain will not be used for at least 8 hours. Let sit and start to ferment. The activation process will start to loosen the material in the drain.
For a stubborn drain, pack the drain with baking soda and pour vinegar until the drain clears. Flush with water. Follow up with regular applications of EM•1® Septic Treatment once or twice per week as you clean the sink. This will keep the microbes in the drain and help to keep the drain clean and flowing properly.
Pour 1/4 cup EM•1® down each drain two to three times per week until odors are dealt with. Thereafter, apply once per week.
- One tip to make this easier is to add about 1/4 cup EM•1® to shampoo and liquid soap containers so a little goes in all the time.
- Another application point is with laundry. Add 1/2 cup EM•1® to a 100oz bottle of liquid laundry detergent.
***Please note that Activated EM•1® can be used interchangeably with EM-1.***