ZoosActivated EM•1® (AEM•1®) is loaded with antioxidants which help prevent rust and other corrosion on equipment, eliminate odors, and clean water. Using it regularly in animal exhibits will keep the equipment clean and odor and rust-free. Zoos can benefit from various application points with AEM•1®. Here are a few quick tips:
Animal Exhibits Odor Control
- Cages: 2 ounces AEM•1® per gallon of water. Spray minimum of 3 times per week.
- Water Clarity in Tanks/Aquariums: 1 part of AEM•1® per 10,000 parts water as a monthly maintenance.
- Manure: Gather manure and bring to area to compost (see landscaping section).
Landscaping & Operations
- Food wastes: Ferment using EM•1® Bokashi and pickling in airtight containers for 2 weeks. The materials can then be added to worm bins, fed to animals, added to compost piles, or buried in the ground.
- Kitchens: Mix a 50/50 solution of AEM•1® and non-antibacterial soap. This solution can be mixed in water for washing counters, floors, walls, windows, refrigeration units, stoves, and carpets. Dump solution down drain to add more microbes to the system.
- Grease traps: Pour product down a common drain at a rate of 1 quart AEM•1® per 1,000 gallons holding capacity per week.
- Septic systems: Pour product down a common drain at a rate of 1 quart AEM•1® per 1,000 gallons holding capacity per week.
- Drains: Treat by pouring ¼ cup AEM•1® per main drain 2-3 times per week to eliminate back odors and keep drains flowing without backups.
- Plantings: Inject AEM•1® into irrigation system at a rate of 5 gallons per acre. This can be done 4-8 times a year depending on climate.
- Manures and Compost: As loading manure into compost pile, spray with a 4-ounce/gallon mixture of AEM•1® and water. Mound and cover with a tarp. Turn pile once per week for 4-6 weeks. There should be no ammonia or sulfur smells. As weeds sprout, turn them in. Pile should be ready to use as mulch in 6 weeks. Or, the materials can be buried (be sure to cover with 8 or more inches of soil to keep weeds from sprouting) in trenches after 4 weeks.
- Water Features: 32oz AEM•1® per 10,000 gallons of water per week to keep water clear and odor-free.
- Clinic: Spray down floors and cages, wash counters and tables, windows, etc., with a solution of 1-3 ounces AEM•1® per gallon of water. Mop floors with ½ cup AEM•1® in mop water.
- Litter: Use a 50/50 mix of EM•1® Bokashi and litter or 100% EM•1® Bokashi for litter. If 100%, the litter can be used as a mulch and fertilizer for ornamental plantings by landscaping department.
- Restrooms: AEM•1® can be used to keep all bathrooms clean and odor-free. Mix ½ cup in mop bucket water for washing floors, stalls, tiled surfaces, windows and mirrors.
- General Purpose Cleaning: Mix a 50/50 solution of AEM•1®and non-antibacterial soap. This solution can be mixed in water for washing counters, floors, walls, windows, and carpets.
- Indoor Plants: Use ¼ oz of AEM•1® per gallon of water to wash plants. Use 1 teaspoon AEM•1® per gallon of water to water plants.