Flooding can cause a variety of issues depending on the size a severity of the flood. Whatever the water comes in contact with will begin to wear down and contaminate the water. Flood water can come into contact with paints, cleaners, fertilizers, sewage and a variety of other harsh chemicals before even reaching your area.
Once the flood waters have receded, EM-1® can effectively be used for odor control, help breakdown organic solids (sewage, manures), and remediate any soils or aquatic environments that may have been polluted. For small flooding issues, EM-1® can help clean your home in a chemical-free way.
- Dilute EM-1® with water at a 1:20 rate
- Saturate any and all surfaces with EM-1® Solution and let air dry
- Remove any building materials that came in contact with water
- Re-apply EM-1® and water solution, soaking everything. Allow to air dry.
- Clean everything with APC500 Probiotic Cleaner
When rebuilding, you can add 1 Tablespoon of Super C Powder and 1/4 cup of EM-1® per gallon of taping compound, primer, and paint to prevent VOCs gasses.
- Soak ground with 1 quart of EM-1® per 100 sq ft, using enough water for coverage.
- Repeat once or twice, depending on severity.
SALINITY PROBLEMS (SEAWATER FLOODING)
Some floods may involve seawater and damage soil and crop areas. Such was the case for rice paddies and shrimp ponds in the after math of a tsunami in Thailand. Below is how EM Kyusei in Thailand handled the situation;
- Apply TeraKashi Bokashi before replanting and flooding of paddies
- Plant rice and water in with Activated EM-1® or Ag1000
- Plant different plants until soil is remediated. Barley and wheat have high salinity capabilities.