Tomato blight can be the bane of even the most experienced gardeners...
So, how do you prevent blight from destroying your tomato plants and ruining your harvest?
Firstly, what is blight?
Blight is fungus-like organisms that exists in the soil and spreads through tomato leaves, particularly during wet weather... Lack of airflow and wet leaves is the main cause of blight.
One of the beneficial microorganisms in EM-1 is Lactobacillus or lactic acid bacteria. Lactic acid bacteria is in fermented foods for preservation. Also found in the soil and on plant surfaces, lactobacillus can protect against pests.
A symbiotic relationship forms when lactobacillus eats the sugars or sap on the leaf. The microbe then provides pathogen protection to the plant. The microbe produces natural antimicrobial and antifungal compounds as waste. Compounds such as hydrogen peroxide, acetic acid, and lactic acid.
A second microbe in EM-1 is Saccharomyces, a beneficial yeast. By producing an enzyme called chitinase, Saccharomyces renders pathogenic fungi useless.
You can expect your tomatoes to be:
- Bigger in size and weight
- Roots to be heavy and free from disease
- Tomato foliage to be healthier
- A higher quality and quantity of tomatoes
- A savings of up to 80% due to reduction of fungicides usually needed.
For best results, follow these simple tips:
- Avoid watering the tomato leaves.
- Remove the suckers from the bottom of the stem, these are the older leaves that increase the risk of disease.
- Use stakes to keep the tomato plants off the ground.
- Create good airflow between your tomato plants by not planting to close together.
- Spray your tomatoes weekly with EM-1 to protect the leaves against disease.
- Spray in the evenings.
- During very wet periods, spray your tomatoes 1 - 3 times per week.
Application: Add 6 oz of EM-1 per gallon of water.
EM-1® is safe to use, 100% organic and OMRI listed.
What is EM-1®?
EM-1® is short for Effective Microorganisms. EMRO, the company and technology behind Effective Microorganisms®, has been the leader in plant friendly probiotics and fermentation since the 1960's. EM･1 is the original and authentic Effective Microorganisms® formulated by world renowned scientist Prof. Dr. Teruo Higa.
Dr Higa's Effective Microorganisms has been validated through scientific literature and field trials. It is 100% organic, odor free and safe for humans, animals and the environment.
Microorganisms: 1 Million Colony Forming Units/cc (units/ml): Lactobacillus casei
Water, organic molasses
More Information and Case Studies:
How to treat Nematodes in Tomatoes
How to Grow Tomatoes Award winning tomatoes with EM-1
Fedco Seeds Organic Supply customer review on using EM-1 as a foliar spray to prevent tomato blight
Tips for growing delicious tomatoes
Who is Prof. Dr. Higa?