EM-5 is an all-natural homemade pesticide that can be made by anyone and is safer than using synthetic options.
This solution is effective in reducing pest populations because EM-5 contains esters formed by mixing acetic acid and alcohol, which provokes intestinal intoxication.
The most successful programs with EM-5 involve alternating its applications with EM-1® and EM-FPE.
We recommend making EM-5 ahead of season and letting it age for at least a month before usage.
The formula for 1 gallon of EM-5 is as follows (1:1:1:1:20):
- 3/4 Cup of EM-1®
- 3/4 Cup of Molasses
- 3/4 Cup of Vinegar (white or apple cider)
- 3/4 Cup distilled alcohol (vodka, whiskey, tequila)
- Add some other plant material (fresh hot peppers or garlic...or fresh herbs that have known pesticide properties like mint leaves, lavender, eucalyptus, mella luca, neem, etc.) For leaves, 1 cup per gallon. For powders, 1 Tbs per gallon. For garlic, 3 cloves per gallon (chopped or minced).
- Fill the gallon container with warm water (110-120ºF)
- Seal and ferment until pH goes below 4.0
Spray EM-5 weekly to protect your plants from pests. Apply 1/2 gallon (mixed material) for 1/2 acre property.
Alternating formulations can helps to prevent the pests from getting used to or building a tolerance to the same product. Often people will set up an informal program as follows (Diluting the EM-1®, EM5, or EM FPE with 500 parts water):
- Week One: Apply EM-1®, (or activated EM-1) 1/2 gallon for 1/2 acre property
- Week Two: Apply EM5, 1/2 gallon (mixed material) for 1/2 acre property
- Week Three: Apply EM FPE, 1/2 gallon for 1/2 acre property
- Week Four: Apply EM-1®, (or activated EM-1)1/2 gallon for 1/2 acre property
This pattern is repeated throughout the growing season.